Friday, January 20, 2012

Guardian Spirit Bulletin


                I am a 32 year old, autistic man. I am high functioning, so at first you might not even notice. I have seen a lot of abuse, and hurt during my life. It has both been done to me, and to those around me who are like me in their own way. I have been a victim of sexual, physical, and emotional abuse although thankfully I can only remember shattered parts of my past. I would like to think it is a well honed survival instinct and not a byproduct of the abuse.

                Yes, I had a rough childhood. I survived it however, and came through it as the same gentle and loving person I am today. That is in large part to all the extra help, therapy, and assistance I received as a ward of the state. Without that little extra life experience my story would have a very different ending than it does.
                At 32, I am happily married. I have two beautiful son's that I love very much. I have my own home, my own car, and most importantly I have a future. The same can't be said for a lot of those coming up behind me. I listen to their stories and I see mine reflected back at me. I am able to empathize with their pain because it was my pain as well. They didn't learn the same lessons I did at the hands of the staff in multiple facilities across Kentucky. They were sheltered by over protective parents who can never imagine them being full adults. They were ignored by uncaring parents who saw defect and wrote them off. They did not have the chance that I did. They haven't gotten to see the world as I have yet.

                I started my nonprofit as a way to help those who are different like I am to learn job skills, gain confidence, and to hopefully take control of their own life. The deeper into what needs to be addressed I go, the more there is left for me to do. Right now, my program is being designed as a virtual solution to emotional, social and vocational skills training. My board, has me working on a life skills module as well. Just basic everyday care for yourself so that you don't put those around you off.

                I am beginning to see that this is not going to be enough. I can train, educate, and inform all I like but the reality is that once training ends and real life begins than my people are left with the same deficits as they had before, with only the added ability to be successful in the work place. I will be taking sheltered people and throwing them to the wolves in my attempt to help them. This cannot stand.

                I have two brief stories, outside of my own that I wish to share.

1) An amazing 29 year old high functioning autistic, living in a small town and still living in her parents' house is being paired up with her stepfather's best friend's  son. She isn't against the idea, even though she really hasn't had the chance to meet anyone else. In her mind, it's a good way to help her parents feel secure that she will be taken care of when they are gone. She claims to love the guy, but in reality with no exposure to the outside world than anything new would be seen as special. She isn't truly being given a choice. At least she wasn't until I invited her to Billings to be a part of our program.

2) A new acquaintance, this next woman is in a bit more of a precarious situation. She is both autistic, non verbal, and has turner's syndrome. Basically she is an adult trapped in a 12 year old child's body with all the innocence of an autistic. The court awarded her guardianship to her boyfriend, a much older man who she only calls by his nickname. He is intimate with her, and while that might be acceptable as her guardian it is a conflict of interest. What makes this worse is that they share their living space with up to three other people with different disabilities and that sex is seen as acceptable and interchangeable with all parties in the home. As her guardian, and her boyfriend this man should be helping to guide her, demonstrating his love for her by showing her the right way to handle those feelings and those social issues, instead he takes advantage of not only her, but the others living under his roof.

                The argument could be made that since all of them are disabled than at least they are all equal in making an adult decision. My argument to you would be, at what point did someone teach them the rules of what is proper behavior and at what point did we as a community stop caring enough to follow up.

                I am proposing that we as a community pull together to create a first of its kind independent living community. I would like to see a community developed where people with disabilities are given the option to live in a normal house alongside others who understand their special needs and don't mind going above and beyond to look out for their best interests. If it takes a village to raise a child, than it takes an entire community to raise an autistic.

                I was luckier than most. I am extremely verbal. Eloquent. You understand me, when I feel it is important that you do so. I can't be quiet about something that I personally feel is so devastating to the future of people who could easily be what I ended up as. Lost, confused, naive, and hurt by those they trust to take care of them.

                I will be approaching local contractors and real estate developers to help me design and plan a location for this community but I am asking each and every person who reads this article and is interested in helping me to make a difference to send me your ideas, questions and concerns. I want your feedback, your time and yes your money would be nice as well.

                I am Marcus Shane Morris. I am the founder of Guardian Spirit, a pending 501c3 Non Profit here in Billings, Mt. and I am asking you to stand by me and help me truly defend those who need it as I help them learn to stand on their own two feet and take charge of their lives. We can't wait for someone else to do what we know is the morally right thing to do. It is our charge and our duty to care for each other, that is what it means to be human.

                You can reach me at the following:

www.guardianspirit.info

I am happy to supply our information as a company to anyone who requests it, and in some cases even if you don't

No comments:

Post a Comment