Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Idle Rogues: Guerilla Burlesque


   Burlesque, it isn't a strip tease. It's not exotic dance. It's an expression of strength, passion and humor set to music and done in an entertaining fashion. It's not about baring it all, it's about the illusion that you gave everything away while never truly giving up a thing. Sleight of hand, a little smoke.. and let your imagination do the rest. That is life at the Guerilla Burlesque.

   I spend a great deal of time in my travels being stunned by just how creative people can be in this virtual world we call home. Sometimes, alright let's be honest a lot of the time that isn't a good thing. So much energy and creativity used for deviancy and vice you wonder if there is anything else to this world.

   At those moments... those rare moments a light can part the gathering clouds of despair and show you a beauty that you had no idea existed in any world the real.. or otherwise.

   That is where I found myself this evening. On the verge of despair, the dark of the world we share overshadowing the joy and beauty I search for so ardently.

   I stumble into a place, I had been but once before. That time, a complete accident as well. A beautiful girl, in a 30's theme hostess outfit... a brilliant red smiles at me, welcoming me into her world with an offer of a smoke and a coquettish wink. What a welcome, I think to myself. So much personality in just the hostess alone, I can barely contain myself as I let my eyes roam the room waiting for the minutes to pass and the show to begin.

   In typical fashion for me, I start chatting with each person. Chewie who as far as I can tell is nowhere near being a wookie (gratuitous Star Wars reference)... unless they are suddenly among the most gorgeous creatures in existence, is a fledgling clothing designer. We chat a bit about her outfit, tweaking and playing with it. The simple and innocent joy she takes in her creations make me smile. It seems that art for these ladies does not begin and end on the stage.

   I start casually talking to the guests who along with myself are waiting in rapt anticipation for the show that will open their eyes to a world they had previously not considered.. a glimpse into the imagination of some of the most brilliant artists that I have personally had the chance to write about.

    A young couple just out for a fun night, a man in a suit that gives one the impression that he is completely in control and perfectly comfortable in his masculinity to wear lace frills, and a Lady lounging peacefully with an entrancing ensemble that I have to take a closer look at. Of course being who I am.. I may be able to look and not touch, but look and not talk? Never!

   I start a conversation with this interesting woman, wanting to know more about her outfit and as that conversation goes on I find I am talking to the owner of the club. Color me a vibrant shade of red, what an embarrassing moment. You would think a veteran writer might take notice of who happens to own the club he is in, but I was just so lost in the ambiance.. in the sheer pleasure of being in this place that so wonderfully suspends disbelief that I lost myself for a time.

   I have spent over a week getting to know the ladies and gentleman of the Idle Rogue family and I can say with sincerity that I have never felt more welcome anywhere in Second Life. They are a family in the truest sense of the word, sharing everything together... even their tip jar!

   Each of the performers has an amazing and diverse background that I hope to showcase at a future date, and that I think is what makes each of them so amazing at their craft. To invest the amount of hours each and every day to put on one show a week is almost beyond belief. They show a dedication to what they love, and to their audience that I believe is second to none in Second Life.

   If you want to have an amazing evening of fun and entertainment on any given Friday night, 12am SLT than the place you want to be, is Idle Rogues: Guerilla Burlesque. I guarantee you won't leave disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment