Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Equal, A poem for my wife Michelle


The most ironic match
hard where I am soft, so gentle where my rough edges rub other raw
my lighter reflection,  a polar opposite in every way
except for the ones that matter most
My equal, my inferior and in so many ways superior
You are the benchmark, the line by which all others are measured
You complete the shattered parts of me, recreating a whole that never existed
Before you molded me, into the man you took the time to see
A half life is all that I had, and I was content before I met you
You showed me, just how much I was blind to
Without every trying to, you forged me from the dross
My one true Guardian, the protector of me who always protects the rest
You hold tight, and guard my heart even when I try to give it away
You refuse to let me go, to let me hurt, to let me fall
You hold me up, when so many would surrender
The one person in all the world who is my shield, my rock
You give me the strength to be the man I am, the man you made
As I struggle to master the fate of the man you created from the child I was
I submit willingly to you my lover, my wife and my best friend
You see through my flaws, to the core of me
Your gentle hand, in velvet glove but with a steel to you
You are my equal, my love for all time
My wife, I am yours and lucky to be so
Maybe someday, the man I was and the man I am becoming will be the man I truly believe you deserve

No comments:

Post a Comment